The Ghost Ship of Gay Head

At the end of December in 1804, Gay Head lighthouse keeper Ebenezer Skiff discovered an abandoned sloop ashore near the lighthouse. The ghost ship had no captain, no crew aboard. But its cargo was still in the hold, and Mr. Skiff posted this notice in the shipping news section of the New York Gazette & General Advertiser,  Jan. 21, 1805.

Enjoy this bit of history from the very early days of the Gay Head Lighthouse.

ghost ship of gay head

Share on FacebookEmail this to someoneShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterPrint this page
Download PDF